A few of us are madly in love with music. Not only music even we have got our interests in producing it. But to boom the market with your music, you need sharp instruments like microphone, studio headphones, etc. For your music to be full of emotion and flawless, the headphones should be extraordinary in reproducing the recordings. While a lot of brands claim their headphones to be the best, they end up irritating you. So, we have got the list of best studio headphones under $100, only for you.
You might be well aware of the fact that studio headphones are different from the regular one. But ever wondered which headphones actually fall under the category of professional Studio Headphones? Let us find it out.
What are Studio Headphones? Why are they used?
The drumroll headphones used in studios while recording vocals and music are known as Studio Headphones. But due to their popularity, consumers use them for casual music listening too. But if we talk about studios they are used for various purposes. Some of them are elaborated below.
#1 Monitoring during recording:
Well, all of us have seen the artists recording music in the studios, either in movies or in music videos itself. The headphones that they wear while recording are known as studio monitors. In the modern day world, music recording is divided into layers. In short, it includes multi-track recording. All instruments are recorded separately and then they are edited for mixing.
Once each and every track is edited according to the team, the final track is produced. Also, the vocals are recorded separately without any music. Artists wear these headphones to hear the pre-recorded music. They tune with the music and produce a marvelous output. This ensures them that music is not been leaked into vocals.
Mixing of the tracks is done using the studio monitors such as speakers. But there are a lot of demerits of using speakers. For instance, the speakers allow the sound to bounce through walls and other materials in the room. But that’s not the case with headphones.
Headphones do not allow the sound to go out. They are nearest to your ears, so everything is heard clearly. The audio that you hear with headphones is different from those of speakers. In this way, using studio headphones instead of speakers is not a bad idea. You will have all tiny details of the audio and you’ll be able to correct these slips with ease.
Best Studio Headphones under $100
The market is flooded with tons and tons of headphones. But you won’t waste your money and that’s the reason you’re here (._.)”
We have picked out the best studio headphones for your regular use. All of them have some pros and cons. So, we concluded their position based on some factors. Go through these factors and select the best headphone from our list.
Parameters for selecting Studio Headphones
- Sound Quality: I concluded the audio and sound quality by checking a lot of things. We ensured ourselves that sound does not leak from the headphones in any case. The leaking of audio may disturb your recording. Also, we have ensured that these headphones are reliable and detailed. The frequencies were tested as well. The lower and higher frequencies came out to be extended pretty well.
- Design: Comfort is a must while using any type of headphones. Most of the headphones that we have chosen have large ear cups. On first look, you may find out they are not at all attractive. But after all, they are designed for practical and professional use rather for attracting eyes.
- Durability: Build quality is another important factor while looking for an electronic article. The metal coating at the joints aid to provide durability. Also, the detachable cables and their joints help to keep them safe, even if you pull them all of a sudden.
- Pricing: All the headphones that we have selected for the list of best studio headphones are available for less than $100. As soon as the prices rise, the features and other specifications become more and more interesting.
- Special Features: Apart from all these basic parameters, we look for something unique. Like if they have detachable cables, studio adapter, carrying case, ability to fold, etc.
So that’s it for the parameters. Look for all of them while going through the description of headphones 😉
List of Studio Headphones
|Audio Technica ATH M40X Professional|
|Sennheiser HD280 Pro Headphones|
|Grado SR80e Prestige Series|
|Sony MDR 7506 Professional Large Diaphragm|
|AKG K 240 Semi-open|
The M50X from Audio Technica has got a lot of hype. Due to this, the M40X is somewhere deep inside the market. While the M50X proves to be the professional monitor, the M40X have the true quality to be a studio headphone.
- The ATH-M40X: These headphones are designed and built for accurate audio monitoring with a frequency range of 15 – 24,000 Hz. The one-ear monitoring offers professional mixing, studio tracking, and DJ monitoring as well.
- Professional Design: The M40X is designed to cover your ears completely. This results in no audio leak and excellent monitoring. The drivers with 40 mm of aperture provide brilliant isolation. The copper-clad aluminum wires are made long-lasting. The 90 degrees ear cups make your monitoring easier than ever.
- Easy to Pair: The superior sound quality can shine when paired with a professional amplifier. Although, the smartphones or other mp3 players may not provide you same crystal clear quality.
- Unexpected audio quality
- Revealed detailing
- Cables are detachable
- Great extension on both sides
- Needs some time in burn
For more about Audio Technica ATH M40X, check out customer reviews on Amazon
Sennheiser has always been known for their love and passion for balanced sound quality. The same is the case with their H280 Pro Headphones. The headphone rings so well at every note that it brings the premium Sennheiser feel for the pretty cheap price. It proved to be very comfortable with our long studio sessions.
- Utilitarian build: The H280 Pro has been designed to be practical and useful for all situations. They aren’t designed to be attractive at all. They have a fixed cable and fortunately, it attaches itself to only a single side. This coil can extend from 3.3-9.8 feet.
- Ear Cups Design: The ear cups of HD280 Pro have a professional oval design. But still, they feel very comfortable on the ears. You can go for hours using it without any trouble. These headphones are mounted on the arms of the headband so that you can adjust them according to the size of your head.
- Audio: The HD280 Pro comes with the excellent professional noise isolation. We have found minimal music leaks at times while using them at the studio. This can easily handle high bass music with no distortion and enough punch. Also, they are clean, neutral, and assertive but detailed as well.
- Long coiled cable
- Neutral but exciting
- Excellent bass
- Detailed treble and mids
- Proper noise isolation
- Energetic audio
- Cable is non-adjustable, i.e. it is fixed.
For more about Sennheiser HD280 Pro Headphones, check out customer reviews on Amazon
Image Credit: CNET
For the price they are offered at, they provide impressive frequency range and audio quality. These headphones are mostly cloistered production at lonely places. Due to its amazing and top-notch features, the Grado SR80e deserves to be at the top of the list of studio headphones.
- Design: The Grado SR80e will gratify your desires. Its thin and broad headband does not feel much weight on your head. The ear cups, being comfortable, go on the ear instead of on being around the ears. These ear cups come with soft foam ear pads. Thus, the pressure gets evenly distributed on the head and the ears.
- Durability: The backplates of SR80e have a metal design. Also, the earpieces are initiated with metal spikes. You can revolve the earpieces on an axis to make them fold. This all makes it easier to put in and pull them out from your head.
- Audio: The SR80e proved to be pretty impressive from its lowest volume levels. The huge advantage of these headphones is that they are open back headphones. Thus, even at lowest volumes you can feel the bass and have crystal clear sound. Also, the soundstage has wide open spacing for instrument placement. And most importantly, the detailsthroughout the track areheardmiraculously.
- Active and detailed sound
- Wide and open soundstage
- Smooth tonal balance
- Can be folded flatly
- Plug sleeve may not fit along with some phone cases
- Double-sided cable
For more about Grado SR80e Prestige Series Headphones, check out customer reviews on Amazon
The Sony MDR 7506 is one of the oldest and most popular studio headphones of all time. They have been in this category for more than 20 years now. Almost all the music artists and producers have used it. This means that they are reliable, durable, comfortable and what not. And that is one of the reasons we have kept on the list of best studio headphones under $100.
- Design: The MDR 7506 have classic design and can be recognized with ease. It has a broad padded headband. The ear cups are oval in shape and initiated with plush ear pads. Weighing only 8 ounces it is lighter than other studio headphones at this price range. The back of the ear cups is surrounded by metal design to deal any sudden pull or push. Also, the arms are made of metal.
- Durability: The cable of the MDR 7506 is fixed, forever. It is a round shaped coiled cable that can extend up to 10 feet. Thus, allowing the cable to shorten when you are near to your equipment. Thus, the cable is indestructible and thick. The ¼” adapter is pre-shipped with this set.
- Audio: Unlike the older version, this new model of MDR 7506 sounds alive and buzzy with a cup full of energy. It has a great frequency response and manages itself to stay up beat. The bass of these headphones is punchy and tight. The most important feature of this headphone is that they are highly reliable and considerable. Any misstep in the beat or vocal, and it’ll identify it with ease.
- Upbeat balanced audio
- Highly revealing headphones
- Highly durable headphones
- Ear pads are easily replaceable
- The cable is long but not detachable
For more about Sony MDR 7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphones, check out customer reviews on Amazon
AKG has packed their best features and qualities in the K240 Semi-open studio headphones. They can be used for both, studio purposes and personal use as well. The semi-open, as the name suggests, makes it design unique and interesting. Apart from this, they sound pretty excellent. Thus, they are on our list of best studio headphones under $100.
- Design: The K240 comes with a simple, classy and unique design. The golden highlights with the black exterior look fantastic. The headband has a stabilizing strip band and a suspension with two-cable structure. Thus, you can adjust them according to your comfort. The earpieces of these headphones have a large circular design that can fir even the large ears with ease.
- Special: They come with a 3-meter long removable cable. It can be connected with one of the ear cups via the XLR port. Thus, connecting it indirectly to the 3.5 mm headphone jack. Also, the ¼” adapter is pre-shipped with this set.
- Audio: The extraordinary transducers will make you take off the step even with normal music. Their audio response is brilliant but at times the audio leaks out. So you might find some strange troubles while studio monitoring.
- Highly detailed
- Bass is present
- Self-adjusting suspension headband
- Detachable cable
- Thrilling and flat frequency response
- The audio leaks out a little
For more about AKG K 240 Semi-open Studio headphones, check out customer reviews on Amazon
Phew… That was the list of best studio headphones under $100 with all descriptions. I hope you liked the post and will share it with your friends looking for such articles. Do leave your feedback about these headphones in the comment section below. Thank You…!!!
Top Rated Studio Headphones
|1||Tascam TH-02 Closed Back Studio Headphones, Black||$19.99||Buy on Amazon|
|2||Behringer HPS3000 Studio Headphones||$19.99||Buy on Amazon|
|3||Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone||from $79.99||Buy on Amazon|
|4||Audio-Technica ATH-M20x Professional Monitor Headphones||$49.00||Buy on Amazon|
|5||Akai Professional Project 50X | Over-Ear Studio Monitor Headphones [Amazon Exclusive]||from $49.98||Buy on Amazon|
Last update on 2018-05-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API